War Memorial (Felix Desruelles, 1924)
The First World War Memorial in Rue Christophe Thivrier is very realistic and particularly touching. A farm labourer comes across a soldier’s grave in a field of ripe wheat. He is shown in a thoughtful pose, leaning on his scythe. The sculptor has paid great attention to the detail of his clothing and his tools.
Bust of Christophe Thivrier (Felix Desruelles, 1932)
This bronze by Felix Desruelles in Avenue de la Gare was commissioned by Isidore Thivrier, son of Christophe Thivrier, to mark the 50th anniversary of the founding of the world’s first socialist municipality by his father in June 1882.
The Farmer ((Jules Dalou, 1925)
This statue, initially entrusted to the town of Commentry, now stands in front of the church in the Vieux Bourg. A countryman, wearing clogs, rolls up his sleeves in preparation for work.
The Cordonnier sculpture (1937)
This piece in white marble had been commissioned from the artist Alphonse-Amedee Cordonnier at time of the Paris Universal Exhibition of 1900 to ornament the main facade of the Grand Palais. It is an allegorical piece in the style of the period, with its characteristic sinuous lines. The right hand holds a mallet and the left a stone chisel.
The Blacksmith (Sylvestre, 1939)
The Blacksmith, symbol of Commentry’s principal industry, stands in Place Martenot in front of the factory gates, dominating the entrance. The colossus, weighing
The Gifts of the Earth (Pierre Traverse, 1924)
This statue can be found above the main trench of the Mine Park and portrays two beautiful female forms with magnificent buttocks carrying a basket filled with bunches of grapes to represent the gifts of the earth. Below them is a third womandressed in ancient classical style. The work is known locally as ’The Three Graces’.
The Iron Age (Alfred Lanson, 1931)
Standing in the foyer of the Town Hall, this statue was given to the town in 1931 at the request of Isidore Thivrier. It offers a symbolic evocation of the struggle for progress. A naked man, holding a lance, stands in triumphant attitude over a figure fallen at his feet, representing the evils of ignorance.
The Miners (Leibundgunth, 1989)
This sculpture in lava from Volvic is to be found in the Boulevard General de Gaulle.
The Town Plan (Alain Bourgeon, 1993)
This is found in Place Stalingrad, between Rue Gabriel Peri and Rue du docteur Leon.