Sacred Heart church
The church of the Sacred Heart (consecrated in 1853) is one if the few neo-classical churches in the Allier department. The building is rectangular in shape and is divided into a nave and two aisles. The chevet ( the east end of the chancel) planned in the original design was not constructed. A square belltower rises above the façade. Two paintings of the Flemish school from the end of the 15th century (The Beheading of St John the Baptist and Jesus being crowned with the Crown of Thorns) make up the art treasures of the church. Also in the Sacred Heart church you can find stained glass windows depicting St Thibaud (19th century), the patron saint of miners, and St Eloi (end of the 19th century), patron saint of silver and goldsmiths and of blacksmiths.
St Front church
This church is situated in the hamlet of the Vieux Bourg, which predates the founding of the town of Commentry. Confirmed in 1152 by Eugene III as part of the possessions of Souvigny, this parish of the old diocese of Clermont Ferrand later passed into the hands of the prior of Colombier. The Romanesque edifice has been much altered; all that remains in its original state is the apse with a flat chevet under the damaged barrel vault. The ruined triumphal arch rests on pilasters. Two rectangular chapels, later additions, adjoin this apse.
The four bays of the nave, rebuilt in the 18th century, are separated from the side aisles by pillars which support large arches, intact on the south side but damaged on the north. A timber framework spans the whole. A modern belltower topped by a slate steeple rises above the chevet.